The Insane Day Known Only as the 18th of October

19 10 2011

Tuesday.  Nothing particularly special was happening in the world Tuesday.  Happy peaceful music was playing in the background (if it was a movie).  Birds were chirping.  But Matthew Jeffrey LaMar had no idea what the day was to be like.  He woke up rested around 10 in the morning and was looking forward to a productive day.  Unfortunately…

So begins the story of Tuesday.

I really don’t know what I was thinking.  Apparently, I overestimated how many hours were in the day.  Or neglected travel time.  Or whatever.  So, here’s what happened:

As I said, I woke up at 10.  I almost immediately began to work on the last bit of work I had due in the afternoon so I could get it finished before lunch.  The work was a glossary of terms for my class Music and Science.  I finished it, and had a pretty late lunch–around 1:00.  I went to The Griffin (the Homerton equivalent to the Cage (a mini-restaurant/snack place)) and got a sandwich, a can of Fanta, and a chocolate muffin.  Their chocolate muffins are great, but they don’t have them all the time.  Needless to say I snatched one up.

Speaking of muffins…Charles found this very odd site before I left for England.  Michael and I were playing Smash Bros, as usual, but Charles was watching these weird videos about muffins.  This was by far our favorite, but Charles absolutely loved it.  Tell me if this is as funny as he (we) thought:

However, I did not eat the muffin for lunch (and no it was not a mini muffin).  At 2:00, I had a supervision for my Analysis class at the music faculty on West Road.  West Road is about a 15 minute bike ride away; I left roughly around 1:40.  Here’s where my life starts to get a little nuts.

My supervision lasted a little over an hour–we analyzed this little piece together (my supervisor and my two other supervisees) and talked about next week’s work–a short paper on an analysis of a movement of a Mozart piano sonata (K. 333, if you want to know).  So it was a little after 3 that I got out.  I had an additional supervision at 3:30.  I had to find where it was because the Music faculty building is kind of arranged like this:

There are multiple staircases and way too many doors everywhere.  Thankfully only the building (which used to be a house) with the faculty offices is like this.  Otherwise concerts would be a pretty trippy experience.

My 3:30 supervision was about Popular Music and Society.  I’m going to enjoy this one a lot, as I feel that popular music is overlooked in a musical education when its ubiquitous nature should mean we give it at least some due.  The teacher/supervisor is an American, from Arkansas.  It took me a full five minutes before I realized this in the lecture last week because I just assumed everyone spoke in a British accent.

It lasted an hour, but the catch was that the Homerton College Charter Choir (which I am in) was supposed to gather at the church across the road from Homerton at 5:15 to practice for Evensong.  By the time I got to Homerton, it was 4:55 or so.  I didn’t have time to eat dinner, but thankfully my chocolate muffin was still there.  I ate it, got some Dr. Pepper for additional sugar to survive the night, threw on my suit, and went across the street.

Choral Evensong (which is described under the heading of music here) was quite fun and a good experience.  I briefly talked to my Director of Studies afterwards, who attended the Evensong along with Homerton and Cambridge graduate Peter Maxwell Davies.  Sir Davies is a famous British composer, so apparently I got to see him…which was…nice?  Until I play something or hear something of his, I can’t really brag about it.  And I didn’t even talk to him either.  But I sang to him!

Anyway, this is missing the point, which is that Evensong ended at 7:10.  I had to be at West Road again for orchestra rehearsal at 7:30.  I didn’t quite make it on time, but I was only a few minutes late.

Orchestra practice ended at roughly 10:30.  I exhaustedly cycled back to Homerton.  Then I got some Subway, because I was very hungry at this point and that was the only thing open at that time.

Essentially, I was constantly doing things from 2-11.  Nine straight hours.  It was tiring, to be sure, but the silver lining was that I was physically able to do it in the first place–if I hadn’t gotten my bike last week, I would not have gotten to the requisite places at the correct time.

I realize that pictures haven’t really been too common, but I will try my best to get some pictures taken with me in them around Cambridge.  And London.  Hopefully going there on Saturday.  Then I’ll really have my British experience down.  Cheers.




One response

20 10 2011
David Dillon

talking mini muffins…..that’s completely mental

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: